Sylvia and I worked on our latest song today. We spent several hours on it and ran into a couple of glitches with Apple's GarageBand program. At one point, it changed 1 of our "audio" Regions (recorded Violin notes from our Korg Krome) into a "MIDI" Region (digital notes), which it cannot normally accomplish. We could see the converted Region and the notes but GarageBand wouldn't play them. (I tried to play them only because I was curious as to what that program did.)
It even added frequency modulation (a "wobble") to the Bassoon part I recorded a few days ago.
Since we have the latest version of GarageBand, I have a feeling the problem is in our 2009 Mac Mini computer… I'm thinking it's just not 100-percent compatible with Apple's latest Operating System — Mac OS X 10.11, "El Capitan".
I did a quick, troubleshooting search on the Internet but found nothing similar.
The song itself is almost finished. Besides doing the final Mix, I have to reinforce my recorded Vocals. I really don't want to re-record them. So I'm hoping I can simply bring-up the volume in the syllables that sound faint. I also need to search through the sounds in my electronic drums, in order to find a better Cymbal sound for 1 spot. The sound I used, from the Krome, is a typical, drumset Cymbal "crash" but the sound I'm hearing in my head is a Symphonic Cymbal "crash and choke" or, even better, a Cymbal being scraped with another Cymbal or a metal stick. (I only searched within the Krome today but I think there's a Cymbal "scape" sound in GarageBand.)
After digging into our latest song, "N.O.A.T.Y.", yesterday, it finally started coming-together and is now able to maintain its own identity.
Since I knew Sylvia wanted this to be an "Orchestral" piece, there were a few guidelines I needed to stick to:
Anyway, this song is not quite done yet but it's a LOT further along than it was 2-days ago. Right now, unless something else changes, this song:
Although this song calls for "me" to sing it, I had a very difficult Time "figuring-out" and then "learning" the Vocal part. Typically, modern music stays within a 1-to 2-note jump, especially in Vocal melodies. This song has a 5-note jump in it! When I 1st Streamed it, there was a 6-note jump in the Vocal line but Sylvia changed that part of the melody but still left a 5-note jump.
This song is a bit haunting and the melody will stay with you for a while… or maybe it's just because we've been working on it for about 2-weeks now… and listening to "parts" or "all" of it MANY, many times.
As I mentioned before, I really wish we could share the songs on this album, as we finish them, with at least a few of you. It's so boring, exciting and frustrating to not be able to share the "music" part of this journey as Sylvia and I travel through the sonic landscape of this upcoming album.
Sylvia and I finally got around to writing down the ARP 2600 Patch for the song we finished in February 2016. This song's initials are "R.L.". (We're not releasing the name of this song until the album is available, which is probably several months from now.)
Anyway, these very chaotic, very stressful sounds "start" and "end" that song.
The 2600's keyboard wasn't used for this Patch. After making the above settings, simply turn up the "VCF" and "VCA" Sliders, in the Mixer. For this particular song, we didn't use Reverb but if you want to use it, this Patch allows for it… just raise the Reverb Sliders to the desired levels.
The "ARP 2600" is a semi-modular, analog synthesizer, which means it doesn't need Patch Cables, in order to produce sounds. However, when you do use Patch Cables, you can create some very complex sounds.
If you'd like to "Follow", "Like" or "Comment" on our Blogs, please visit our mirrored Blogsite: